Lawrence J. Gregory, JD, CPA
Lawrence J. Gregory, JD, CPA
Lawrence J. Gregory practices primarily in the areas of business and estate planning. His clients seek his counsel on corporate governance, ownership, transactions, estate planning, wealth preservation, wealth transfer, and succession planning. As an attorney and Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Larry has the ability to “see the whole picture,” not only from a legal standpoint, but also from a financial and tax perspective, as well. With a comprehensive vision, Larry is able to provide his clients with concrete action steps toward achieving their specific goals. His clients also appreciate the fact that he can speak to them in plain English and can cut through the complexity and legalese.
Larry began his career working for the tax group of one of the world’s largest public accounting firms. That role gave Larry the expertise necessary to confidently represent his clients in all aspects of tax law. Larry remains on the vanguard of strategic tax planning as the chair of his local bar association’s tax law committee. He has also published several articles on tax-related issues and presents seminars for other attorneys and CPAs on estate and trust tax issues.
Larry is a Libertyville native. He and his wife, Jen, have two young boys, Braden and Gavin, who keep them on their toes. When not at work, Larry can be seen trying to impersonate a real golfer, playing the classical guitar, and enjoying Lake County’s numerous parks and forest preserves with his family.
- The John Marshall Law School, JD (2007)
- Northern Illinois University, BS – Accountancy (2003)
- Northern Illinois University, BS – Computer Science (2003)
Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- “Fixing Broken Trusts: Decanting, Mergers, and Nonjudicial Settlement Agreements”, Winnebago County Bar Association, Seminar, 2019
- “Top Five (or So) Things Every Probate and Trust Attorney Should Know About Fiduciary Income Taxes”, Lake County Bar Association, Seminar, 2019
- “Use it or lose it: The IRS Proposed Regulations Will Not Clawback Sunsetting Exemption Amounts”, Illinois State Bar Association, Article, 2019
- “Trust Administration of Business Entities”, Lake County Bar Association, Seminar, 2018
- “Wills and Powers of Attorney”, WinTrust Legal Panel Discussion Series, Seminar, 2018
- “The Future of Estate Planning for Financial Advisors”, Northwestern Mutual Vernon Hills Quarterly Conference, Seminar, 2017
- “Estate Tax Account Transcript Now Formally Recognized as a Substitute for an Estate Closing Letter”, Illinois State Bar Association, Article, 2017
- “Probate Process from Start to Finish: Understanding Intestacy”, National Business Institute, Seminar, 2015
- “Income Tax Planning for the Divorcing Client”, DuPage County Bar Association, Seminar, 2015
- “Estate Planning and Administration: Trust Taxes”, National Business Institute, Seminar, 2015
- “Revocable Living Trusts from Start to Finish: Trust Structures”, National Business Institute, Seminar, 2014
- “Probate Process from Start to Finish: Trust Accounting”, National Business Institute, Seminar, 2014
- “Trusts 101: Trust Tax”, National Business Institute, Seminar, 2013
- “Trust Fund Taxes: Personal Liability for Small Business Owners in Economic Decline”, DCBA Brief, DuPage County Bar Association, Article, 2012